Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Watch what the 'cabbie' does....

QUESTION: What could a simple cab ride have to do with becoming a better sales professional?

ANSWER: Almost everything!

My wife and I love to travel. Back in the ‘day’ when you could actually have several pieces of luggage when you traveled…on one of our trips we decided to take an ‘extra’ bag (total of 3) and my golf clubs. Today that idea has been thrown out of the window due to the increases in airline travel expenses (don’t get me started on that subject)…Anyway, our cab pulls up and the driver gets out, walks around to the trunk, takes one look at our 3 pieces of luggage and my clubs… and just grunts at me. Immediately I feel like I’ve done something to offend him. I feel weird and I just started my vacation…..bad sign.

Feeling guilty, I helped him wrestle my bags into a trunk that is already jam-packed (where did all of this other stuff come from?). He slams the trunk lid shut as I sink into the back seat feeling embarrassed that I actually have luggage. I feel like crap…and I didn’t do anything wrong.  What could be learned from this? What can I learn to make me a better salesperson? (As I ride...I think, what the hell is wrong with this jerk? This is your job....this is what you do for a living....instead of enjoying my ride with the anticipation of time away from work....my “wheels” was turning....learn Tracy...learn from this!)

#1: Make people like you

We all have bad days. I understand that. But when you’re dealing with customers, you need to put on your game face. I don’t know this cab drivers exact circumstance, but how difficult would it have been to offer a warm greeting? A simple smile would have gone a long way. Very few people go to work every day trying to be unlikable, but do your customers really like you? Do they feel good about themselves when you are around?

If you find yourself alienating customers in the first three minutes, I suggest you find another line of work.

As we pull out of the airport I tell the cabbie that I need to go to our hotel. He simply nods and rolls down the windows as we head towards the freeway. As we hit the open road, I quickly discover that this driver has one foot planted on the accelerator and the other on the brake. Smooth is definitely not a word in his driving vocabulary. I had actually thought about buying a soda in the airport, it’s a good thing I didn’t because I would be wearing most of it by now. I can almost feel my stomach becoming upset. (Learn from this!! Don't let him ruin your day).

#2: Hone your skills

Too many sales reps believe that their selling skills are better than they really are. When was the last time someone gave you honest feedback on your sales skills? A better question; when was the last time you asked for feedback? I honestly believe that this cabbie thought he was a good driver. After all, why become a cab driver if you can’t drive? Truth be known, his skills were awful. How are yours?

As we continue our journey I notice the inside of his cab looks like something out of a horror movie. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting a room at the Hilton, but I do believe you can throw out trash, sweep out dirt and wipe “drool” and fingerprints off of the windows! And what is that smell? Seriously...what is that smell?

#3: Take pride!!!

Take a hard look at your email signature, voicemail greeting, hand-written notes and all other customer touch points. Are your quotes easy to understand? Do your invoices make sense or do you need a law degree to decipher? It’s easy to get complacent, challenge yourself to step-up and find the “drool” in your organization and your personal "game."

Twenty minutes outside of the airport the cab driver turns to me and asks me if I know where the hotel is located. He says he’s not sure exactly where it is….I am thinking….”what an idiot.” (Of all the other cabs...I got this one....I would actually walk at this point...if I didn't have 3 pieces of luggage and my golf clubs).....(Think Tracy.....what else?)

#4: Be knowledgeable

If I knew how to get there, I could have just rented a car. If we were going to get lost, I would have preferred to get lost before getting on the freeway. Selling professionals need to be knowledgeable about their products, customers, market, industry and competition. We are the resource that our customers look to for advice. It is our responsibility to know where we are.

If you’re not knowledgeable, don’t take someone for a ride!

We finally figure out where we’re going but the cab grinds to a crawl as traffic starts getting heavy. It’s a warm, humid day so I ask if we could roll up the windows and turn on the air. Without a missing a beat (or turning his head) I’m told “no.” I understand you burn more gas running the AC, but I’m guessing my tip will more than compensate. Now I find myself trapped in a dirty, hot (smelly) cab that is being driven a grouch who really isn’t very good with directions. (What's the moral to the story Tracy?)

#5: Take care of the customer!

Cab drivers get tips, sales reps get commissions. There are more similarities than differences in how these two professions get compensated. If your livelihood depends on customers (and your job does), then you, your manager and your organization need to be committed to taking care of them.

And by the way…. I DID NOT tip the cabbie for this ride. Stop giving tips when people don't deserve it. I subscribe to the 'don't tip' for shitty service rule....maybe if you were paid commission....you would understand. A "tip" is not going to help this guy!


No comments: