Thursday, October 15, 2009

An autobiography--'The Perfect Dog’- by Mr. B

Hello, my name is Dillan Hall--writing under the name of Mr. 'B'--and this is co-authored by my papa....

Description & Appearance:
I am a Maltipoo. A what? A hybrid dog crossed from a Maltese and a Poodle. This cross gives me a smooth silky wavy coat and I am a well-proportioned dog with impressive agility. (Oh, and I like to eat)...

I can make a great therapy dog and have an uncanny instinct to gravitate towards an ill or needy person, whether a child or an adult. The size of a Malitipoo will vary depending on its pedigree but generally malitipoos are between 5 and 12 lbs. (It's none of your business what I weigh)....

Temperament: I am very personable, playful, bright and spunky. I enjoy romping around with other pets, cats or dogs, but very much prefer to chase my own toys. Much like my Maltese heritage, I am bounding with energy and love a ‘good’ game of chase. And like my Poodle heritage, I am much, much smarter than you will ever be…. and pick up obedience tasks easily. (and I really like to eat).....

I am very gentle natured and not very mischievous. Housebreaking is not a long arduous chore (and I prefer a clean pee-pad). Smart and capable, I am always eager to learn new tricks. Of course, I make a great companion dog and do well with children (if I have to…but I prefer my mama and papa only).

Health: I am very healthy benefiting from gene mixing and avoiding many of the hereditary health problems such as Luxating Patella and White Shaker Dog Syndrome Maltese and Poodles purebreds occasionally exhibit. (I like to eat).....

I will enjoy a long life of 12-15 years….or longer.

Care & Grooming: I would do well in an apartment but do enjoy the occasional walk or romp at the park…I do love my multi-story home…I love running up the steps. I love toys....I love toys....

I DO NOT shed (yuck!), making me a great hypoallergenic breed. I have a full coat of hair that should be trimmed monthly to keep my hair from matting. Regular brushing will keep my coat clean and tangle free. The occasional bath is necessary as I am not afraid to get my paws a little dirty. I dislike haircuts.

Books from my reading list: 1) The Dog's Mind--Understanding Your Dog's Behavior by Bruce Fogle  2) Think Dog--An Owner's Guide to Canine Psychology by John Fisher  3) Don't Shoot the Dog!--The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor

My favorite song: 1) I love my dog by Cat Stevens

“So, I love my dog as much as I love you,
But you may fade, my dog will always come through.
I love my dog, Baby, I love my dog. Na, na, na...”

(That’s all I can remember…)

History:  As a hybrid breed, my history is short. Generally, Maltipoo breeders aim to breed one generation of Maltipoo from purebred Yorkshire terrier and Poodle parents. This is to take advantage of hybrid vigor and the Heterosis effect which results in a healthier, more vigorous dog with a reduced chance of genetic disease. Pure breeds and inbreeds often carry genetic disease.

Heterosis is the phenomenon where crossing two inbred lines can yield a offspring with superior genetic constitution. This increased health and vigor does not create a superior breed, but the advantages obtained from it are what produce hybrid vigor. This goal in this scenario is not to create a new breed, but to create a happy and healthy pet.

The deliberate cross breeding of the Maltese and Poodle creates a wonderful new crossbreed (me!!). I share the qualities of both pure breeds. Did I mention already? I am extremely intelligent, eager to please, and very loyal to my family.

p.s. I like to eat!

No comments: